HomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

HR 669 Information

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
valkyriemome
Friends for Life

PostSubject: HR 669 Information   Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:07 am

This legislation goes to vote tomorrow! Everyone needs to write their congress person - or call, if possible - today!

You are welcome to use all or part of this is the letter I wrote to my congressman and to the people on the subcommittee:

As a member of the House Subcommittee on Insular Affairs, Oceans & Wildlife, I urge you to vote in opposition of Nonnative Wildlife Invasion Prevention Act - H.R. 669. The control of non-native wildlife which is destroying parts of the American eco-system is necessary, however, this law, as written is NOT the solution.

The way the current law is written, inclusion on the "Approved List" is unrealistic and impractical. A "one-size fits all" assessment for species is simply ludicrous. Species harmful to Hawaii are not harmful in Oregon, for example.

The US Fish and Wildlife Service does not have the capacity to implement the provisions given current staff, budget, and timeliness of the bill.

H.R. 669 does not take into consideration the socio-economic impact of the bill - currently thousands of nonnative species are both imported and exported, as well as captive raised within the United States.

I myself have pet birds, reptiles and sugar gliders (a marsupial) which would have to be destroyed if this bill is passed as written. However, not one of my animals has ever been wild - they were all captive bred in the United States. I breed my sugar gliders, and am actively involved in trying to stop Mill Breeders of all animal species, as well as in Sugar Glider education.

People do need to be educated about the impact non-native species can have when released into the wild. There must be some way that a plan of education can be implemented, combined with a way to help people place animals purchased as pets which can no longer be housed. However, H.R. 669 is NOT the solution!

There is a website where you can go to send an email form letter to your congressperson:
http://www.nohr669.com/dosomething.htm

Also - that website has a list of phone numbers.

Here is a list of the members of the subcommittee:
http://www.visi.com/juan/congress/cgi-bin/newcommittee.cgi?site=ctc&lang=&commcode=hresources_insular
Back to top Go down
View user profile
valkyriemome
Friends for Life

PostSubject: Re: HR 669 Information   Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:39 am

The Bill was voted down by the subcommittee.

There is still some concern, as they can either by-pass the subcommittee, and take it directly to Congress, or tweak it and resubmit it.

As of now, there are meetings trying to find ways to rework the proposed Bill. I think it was clear to the members of the subcommittee that there are many issues not addressed by this proposed legislation. Even those opposed to the Bill agree that SOMETHING must be done to stop the invasion of non-native species in sensitive areas. However, this Bill as written was NOT it!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Usha77
Close as a sister

PostSubject: Re: HR 669 Information   Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:28 am

I am so glad to hear that! I hope they find a way of reworking the bill that pleases all of us - or at least as many as possible.

Mom to Tika & Tas and Eugene, Sandy & Seri and Bobbi, Star & Squiddi and Pearl & Pip and Jiminy & Pinocchio

*R.I.P. Nynaeve and Poppy and Lan and Toffee and Zoey*
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com/Usha77
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: HR 669 Information   

Back to top Go down

HR 669 Information
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1